What is Glaucoma?
Glaucoma is a type of disease that effects the optic nerve and damages it severely. It occurs when the fluid gets built up in the front portion of the eye creating an ocular hypertension. In its early stages, there are no symptoms. That is why it called a silent thief of sight. The most menacing effect of Glaucoma is the irreversible loss of vision and it keeps on progressing if not detected early.
Types of Glaucoma:
Glaucoma is majorly of two types.
• Open Angle Glaucoma: This type of condition occurs when the eye cannot drain fluid like it should. It basically acts like a clogged drain. This blockage causes pressure in the eye and damages the optic nerve. Glaucoma is painless with no early symptoms. We at Jagdamba, have high standardized machines to look out for those symptoms effectively.
• Narrow Angle Glaucoma: The iris in this case is very close to the drainage angle, blocking it completely. This leads to high pressure over the eyes. How do you know that you might be suffering from the narrow angle glaucoma? Blurry vision, severe pain, headache, nausea, vomiting, all these point towards this type.
What symptoms you might experience?
• Double vision
• Blurred vision and difficulty in looking at near and far objects
• Pain around the eyes
• Dry eyes with itching around the eyes
• High sensitivity to light
• Dark spots at the vision centre
Who all are vulnerable to glaucoma?
The major risk occurs when you have
• a hereditary trait in the family
• some sustained eye injury
• myopia or near-sightedness
• high blood pressure
• some increased risks with age above 40.
Detection of Glaucoma:
A Visual Field Testing is taken up by our experienced doctors to test for the vision loss. It is periodic tests undertaken to check the progression of Glaucoma.
Gonioscopy is performed to check that aqueous can drain freely from the eye. It assess the angle of anterior chamber.
Glaucoma treatment has taken a major turn in these times. With the help of advanced machines like tonometer, it could be detected at an early stage, when no or minimum damage of the optic fibres have occurred. This could prevent the onset of Glaucoma.
Anti-Glaucoma eye drops are present that can prevent the advancement of the disease, slowing down its effect on eye.While you are browsing for the best glaucoma treatment near me Jagdamba here offers Laser Treatments that are very best and newest form of technology for the acute-angle closure Glaucoma. Along with these Jagdamba takes on the task of planting the glaucoma filtration device, valves and some vitreoretinal techniques to encounter some complex procedures.
Glaucoma cannot be cured, it could only be controlled.
A further loss of eyesight could be blocked with early detection and regular medication.